Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Oklahoma Homecoming


The chalky roads stretch among
the blackjacks, their summer cobalt skies
burdened with the weight of barn swallows.

Climbing the hills outside city limits,
farmers toss hay up to the rafters
a spit for each bale, wiping their foreheads
with red kerchiefs, stuffing antique bottles in their pockets.
 
If you’re from California you search for Redwoods
amongst the cedar trees bleeding sap
on this early June day, the breeze knotting
your hair, buffalo staring from every grassland.
 
Beyond a hedgerow of Bois d'arcs,
knee deep in blackberries and devilish scissor tails
a combine shuts down, its cab
curls up for a sun bath.
 
I know that. I want to tip over my engine,
let crickets carve a hole in my threshing drum
become a useless object in the underbrush
buzzing with warbles, drifting with pollen

put my arm around some little old woman,
braid her hair as cars drive by like safaris,
like I’ve dreamed of safaris and jumping on the back
of a blue wildebeest. But I keep driving with my hand cupped
in the wind, cradling the sunset like a dying bird.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.

1 comment:

Wanda Lea Brayton said...

Cheryl, I just left a note for you at your "old haunt" and read some of the other guestbook comments and found this link to your blog - I didn't know you were on here, too! Danny and I are, as well - he only posts here now. Woman, your presence has been deeply missed ... your words swiftly became a beloved addiction and I have felt the pain of their leaving ... and now, here you are - and here I am, doing the Snoopy happy dance! This is a gorgeous poem, of course. I expect no less from you. I hope all is well with you and yours. Much love, affection and respect. You have my email and know where to find me. Here's our Blogspot links, for your convenience. I WILL BE BACK!!! <3

http://wandaleabrayton.blogspot.com/

http://dannybeatty.blogspot.com/