Friday, October 4, 2013

Oklahoma


The winding roads swing with
blackjacks, their fall cobalt skies
burdened with the weight of barn swallows.

Climbing the hills outside city limits,
old farmers toss hay up to the rafters,
a spit for each bale, wiping their foreheads

and stuffing antique bottles in their pockets.  

If you’re from California you search for Redwoods
among the cedar trees sappy and running
on this autumn day, the breeze knotting
your hair, a buffalo stares from every grassland. 

Beyond a hedgerow of Bois d'arcs,
knee deep in blackberries, devilish scissortails
and evergreens, a tractor shuts its cab down,
curls up for a sun bath.  

I know that—I want to tip over my engine,
let crickets eat a hole in my threshing drum
become a useless object in the underbrush
buzzing with conundrums, drifting with pollen  

put my arm around some little old woman,
braid her hair as cars drive by like safaris,
like I’ve dreamed of safaris and jumping on the back
of a blue wildebeest. But I keep driving rolling the windows
down, cupping the sunset, tips of windmills.
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
 

1 comment:

Wanda Lea Brayton said...

Absolutely beautiful writing, Cheryl. I felt as though I was "riding shotgun" with you, my long hair streaming out the open window as you turned up KOMA so we could sing along with the "oldies" (and yes, I actually cringed when I typed that - lol). I'm so glad I'm awake at 4:15 am reading your words. Happy Labor Day. Hah! I'm going to send you an email (and hope that hasn't changed) - I've tried to find a link so I can follow your blog, but it can't be found anywhere. I also searched to see if your profile was up on Google+ so I could add you to my circles ... no luck there, either - but then, the computer locked up before I could finish my search and I had to reboot. Google has so much info streaming all at once, it's hard to be on my Blogspot and Google+ at the same time. Here's my email(s), in case my email to you bounces back as undelivered. <3

feathersofhope@yahoo.com

feathersofhope@gmail.com